We didn't do our annual Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW) trip in 2008, so I was really looking forward to it this year. Here's Todd getting our packs ready at Williams & Hall Outfitters. We arrived there at about midnight on Sunday; we rent the canoe, paddles, and life jackets from them. We also have them shuttle us to the first portage - about a half hour boat ride. Here we go......... Monday - Day 1.

For those who haven't done this sort of thing (it was new to me when I first met Todd), a portage is an overland path where canoe and gear must be carried. Todd portages the canoe - I think it weighs about 50 - 60 pounds.

Portages are measured in Rods. One rod equals 16.5 feet or 1/320 of a mile. 80 rods equals one quarter of a mile. Rods aren't long, BUT.....when you're portaging a canoe and 40 pound packs over rocks, mud, fallen trees, inclines and slopes, it feels long.
No comments:
Post a Comment