17 April 2010

Farm Fun

About a month ago, I wrangled some friends into making a short trek to Govin's Meat and Berry farm in Menomonie for their annual Lambing time. It was a treat, we saw lots of new little critters. Here are the piglets.

Here's their mom...........she's pretty big. I think they said she was 500+ lbs - can anyone say "extra large pork chop?" I asked why she was in that cage contraption and I learned that it gives her piglets time to crawl out before she plops down on top of them. Pigs are really smart so after a few weeks, the piglets learn to run away when mom wants to lay down and the cage is no longer necessary.
I got to hold one of the squealers and would have loved to take it home.

Hungry? Yum, yum.

Adorable newborn w/ mom.

2 comments:

  1. Omg, at first when I saw the very first picture I was like wtf is that?! Goes to show you I still haven't gone to the zoo much even after running home at Halepa Place saying the Ito's have chickens! Miss ya, Your Cousin Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't you know it. You do find interesting things going on where most people wouldn't expect to find them. I agree,little pigs and dogs are cute.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete