My last post before disappearing for 5 weeks metioned how busy I was but more stupidly it stated I might just reclaim my life that weekend. Well...... as they say, those were famous last words. I did NOT reclaim my life, quite the opposite, I landed in the hospital. Went into urgent care because I hadn't been feeling well. They took a blood draw, a pee sample, and x-ray = no diagnosis but something was wrong because my white blood cell count was up, meaning my body was fighting something. They sent me to the ER - not because it was serious, but because sometimes it's faster (another of those famous last statements).
Here's my final IV. This was after I had already been skewered about 8 times - I'm not exaggerating. In the ER I let a nursing student practice inserting the IV, it didn't go so well. I let her try again - hey, I'm a nice person, I work at the University, all in the name of learning. Well, the second time didn't go so well, tears were streaming down my cheeks, but I didn't scream. Third time, the ER nurse put it on the side of my left arm as shown above.
I had also gotten needles in the hand. They kept complaining that my veins were small. I hadn't eaten or drank ALL day so I was also dehydrated which did NOT help. I asked for water, but they refused. Okay, work with me people, you can't complain about my veins if you don't hydrate me. They said they couldn't give me food or water because of the tests that needed to be done.
Here's my right arm, evidence of two more needle pokes. Of course I didn't bring anything with me, didn't think I'd end up in the hospital. I had driven myself to urgent care, then drove myself to the ER, who would have thunk?
At least I had a nice view from my hospital window. After 3 docs, they finally concluded I had a pelvic infection, my bacteria decide to go wild for reasons unknown. That's the frustrating part, I didn't do anything and there's nothing I can do to prevent it again. The doc told me she was admitting me to the hospital to pump me with antibiotics and wanted to watch me for 24 hrs because these things can go really bad, really fast. Oh my, really? Hmmmmm, I had been feeling ill for 4 days, guess it's a good thing I went in when I did.




OMG! I hope you're on the mend! SO patient of you to go through so many needle sticks. I would have not been as nice.
ReplyDelete