05 March 2014

Ice Cave Adventure

As some of you know, we've been having a very cold winter. So cold that Lake Superior is frozen over. I wanted to take advantage of this so I asked Todd to take me to the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore to view the ice caves. Here we are on the shuttle bus.
We went with our friends Steve and Signe. We caught the shuttle and I'm glad we did; the -25 temps would not have made walking another 2 miles very fun.
So fortunate the sun was shining all day, it sure was beautiful.
According to the National Park Service, nearly 78,000 people visited the caves from Jan. 15 through the end of February. The last time the ice was thick enough to walk on to see the caves was in 2009, but only about 8,400 visited in January and February that year.
 It was amazing and I'd like to return in the summer to kayak in the caves.


No comments:

Post a Comment