Our lovely yard has lots of trees and bushes, which makes for an endless supply of branches and sticks - one of Misty's favorite things. She loves to chew on them and fetch them. Well............she grabbed a fairly large tree branch yesterday and started running around with it, the next thing I know, she lets out this yelp and comes hobbling back on three legs. My first thought was that she blew out her knee again, but after a closer inspection I knew nothing was broken..........then I saw exposed flesh - OH MY! The end of the tree branch was sharp and she caught her leg at just the right angle that it tore a large area of skin off. So, I turned off dinner that was cooking on the grill and called the vet. Luckily her awesome vet, Dr. Landorf, hadn't left yet, so we headed on over. 7 stiches later, some painkiller, and antiobiotics, Misty should be on the mend.
The pain medication was so strong she looked like a drunk dog, she'd stand in one place, sort of swaying back and forth as if she might tip over. She went straight to bed (the sofa with the red sheet on it) and I camped out on the floor to keep an eye one her. Another handy reason to have a good sleeping pad and sleeping bag. I actually slept pretty well; it's much cooler than sleeping upstairs so I think I'll "camp out" downstairs again. I may as well get a good night's rest before I see the vet bill and worry about paying for it.

No comments:
Post a Comment